Wednesday 21 September 2011

Songs are for Singing

My mentor has posted a link to a blog on facebook.  The author was writing about writing.  More specifically, they wrote about loving your audience

And this has struck me. 

So far, my song writing has been for a context, for God and for me.  But I've always been a bit too evasive about the idea of 'performance' to really consider an audience. 

Now I think it's time to face up to the fact that music is for listening, and gifts are for sharing.  A context is nothing without people, God can hear the song of my heart without me needing to put it (badly) into transient fluctuations in velocity and pressure in a fluid, and I'm generally happier creating music than I am re-ingesting my own produce.  So it is to an audience that I now look.  I hope that it will change the energy of my songs, and I suspect it may change their subject matter too.

So, who?

Is that up to me?  Maybe not (maybe so), but given that that's a big question, I hope that it's enough for now to have gained the realisation that the songs I write have purpose, rather than just a large amount of identity.  They are for someone, and that kind of adds a bit of an edge to a media which is communication..

Right now, it feels different, so I'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment